Award Winning Apple Pie
Classic apple pie recipe using granny smith apples for just the right tartness and crunch.
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar Packed
- 8 Apples Large Granny Smith Peeled, Cored, and Sliced
- 1/2 Cup White Sugar
- 2 Fluid Oz. Water
- 1 Stick Unsalted Butter
- 3 Tbsp. All-Purpose White Flour Leveled
- 2 9" Deep Dish Pie Crusts Ready-Made
- 1 1/2 Cup All-Purpose White Flour For Pie Crust
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Shortening For Pie Crust
- 2 Fluid Oz. Ice Water For Pie Crust
- 1/4 Tsp. Salt For Pie Crust
- Prepare Pie Crust: Combine the flour and salt together in a large mixing bowl. Mix in unsalted butter until a crumbly mixture. Add ice water a little at a time to make a ball of dough, just enough to stay together. Place in plastic bag and refrigerate for at least 6 hours.
- Prepare Pie Filling: Preheat convection oven to 415 degrees Farenheight. In a saucepan, melt butter, and add flour to make a paste. Add the brown and white sugar, and water to the paste. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the temperature to simmer into a sauce.
- Add sliced granny smith apples to the pre-made deep dish pie crust evenly, and pour the simmering sauce over them.
- Take out the chilled pie crust dough from the refrigerator, and flatten into a 1/4" thickness sheet on a floured surface. Cut the dough into 1/2" wide strips. Create a lattice on top of the pies and decorate as you wish. Trim excess length of dough from sides of pie.
- Bake for 20 minutes in a 415 degrees oven. Then, bake for an additional 40 minutes at 350 degrees Farenheight.